– Emerson is crawling EVERYWHERE. We finally broke down and got a baby gate to block off the fireplace and all the cords and fan. Let me just say it is amazing and although it is so ugly, totally worth it! She’s also cruising. Like a boss.
– Her eczema finally cleared up really well. I think it was the Arizona heat that helped it along. It gave me some relief too though (from worrying about it) and I was glad she got some relief too. Although it never seemed to bother her besides stinging a little when I applied lotion, it looked worse than it actually was with all the redness on her poor little skin.
– Em had been so good with the separation anxiety up until this month. Not once has she cried when I dropped her off at daycare. She has fussed a little going to other people, but nothing like this! She all of a sudden was super clingy and wanted to be held by me all the time. Sometimes I didn’t mind… so nice to have the cuddles! But, I did miss going to the bathroom without having a crying baby on my hands. 🙂 Luckily it wasn’t too bad for too long.
– Lots of Daddy time this month! Zach had about five weeks off before residency started, so we took a month off of daycare and he got to get lots of quality Emerson time. She loved hanging out with her Daddy, but was happy to go back to daycare too.
– She missed her friends Alina and Brecken at daycare! She’s learning to be gentle with her friends and not just grab faces. 🙂 Her teachers love her and they all say she gives the best “Emerson hugs!” (I might have said that before, but I’m too lazy to go check if I have right now) 🙂
– She’s definitely exploring her voice and babbling a lot. Lots and lots of gagagagagaga, Mama, Dada.
– She’s eating puree really well – applesauce, bananas (not her favorite), peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, pears. We started in full gear with more finger foods – of course she loves cheerios and puffs! But, the other finger foods were really tough to start! We tried bananas, blueberries, green beans, and carrots. She does not like the texture of the chunks of fruits and veggies. Too slippery and slimy for her I guess? Just keep trying is my new motto…
– We also started doing water in a sippy cup for meals and she is doing really well. But, on the flight to Arizona, I thought I had everything ready to go. The one thing I forgot? Nipples for the six bottles of breastmilk I packed. DOH! I was so mad at myself! Luckily I had a sippy cup, though. So we filled it up with some warm breastmilk and tried to feed her. She wouldn’t have any of it. Apparently she only drinks milk out of bottles and water out of sippy cups. Only. Those are the rules (still to this day… we’re working on it).
– The dogs are still a little unsure of her. I think Buster is still a little bit jealous… he does still pee in the house every now and then. Brody is still a little skiddish, but he gets better and better. She is getting much better about petting them nicely and gently, but she still gets a little bit excited sometimes and her squeals scare Brody. Buster still just likes to give open mouth kisses…
– Her sleeping was thrown off a bit from all the traveling. I did not like sleeping in the same room with her during our travels! I wake up at every little twist, turn, grunt, sniffle. She may have slept OK, but I did not!
– Not walking yet, but she loves her little Sit n Stand Walker. She zooms around on in, but still needs help with the turns.
– Em is always smiling and I love her little two teeth grin so much. It’s the cutest.
– She got a bad cough and cold towards the end of the month from the flight and going back to daycare. Not fun, but we are building that immune system!
And now for the photo portion of the post!
But anyways… I’m slowly catching up with my monthly posts. Emerson turned nine months on 5.25.14 and she was 19 lbs 12 oz and 29 1/2 inches! Still in the 98th percentile for height! Here’s some of the fun stuff she was up to this month…
– We went down to Centralia for a half day to a high school assembly where they honored my Dad. After 35 years in education (teacher, football coach, vice principal, principal), he retired! I made a sweet slideshow with pics of him throughout the years (complete with a pic of his awesome plaid jacket). My brother and mom were there too and it was lots of fun!
– We went on our first date night in months while Zach’s parents watched Emerson. We went to a friend’s wedding and it was fun to get dressed up and go out just the two of us!
– Every Friday, daycare has dress up days or themed days. This month there was a “50s Day” so Emerson wore her polka dots shirt and polka dot skirt! She was adorable.
– We celebrated my first Mother’s Day by having both our immediate families over for a BBQ. Emerson and Zach let me sleep in and then woke me up with breakfast in bed. She (ahem, Zach) made eggs benedict, with coffee and fruit and it was delicious! Such a special day. The Friday before, daycare also had a “Moms and Muffins” morning breakfast where we did a cute little craft project (stamped both our hands in different colors on a piece of paper) and had you guessed it, muffins! It was really cute and I loved every bit of the corniness. 🙂
She’s ten months old now, so I guess that means I should probably do an 8 month update! I’m so behind… I should have known this was inevitable!
– She started crawling a ton! She finally got the hang of it and no one can stop her now!
– Says “Dada” quite a bit these days. Definitely a Daddy’s girl!
– She “cackles” a lot more than actual laughing – it’s so funny. It’s these little “haha” “hahas” and it’s so stinking cute.
– She got her two bottom teeth! Teething was a b*$%h though. She got a fever and was super fussy and not sleeping well. Ugh it sucks. Before she started teething, I wondered what it would be like and now I know – you will know when you are going through it! Plus, she had a cold during this time too, which meant she was up at 3 and 4 am again. Luckily, once the teeth broke through and the fever broke, it was business as usual.
– She just wants to be walking! Pulls herself up on everything – us, the couch, her toys, the cabinets. I think she’ll be walking before she’s a year old! Eeek!
– She was very clingy to Mama this month (which I didn’t mind at all). Probably because of the teething, but I wasn’t complaining! Lots of hugs and snuggles and snot wipes on my shoulder. 🙂
– We had gotten these Princess Little People a while ago and finally broke them out. She LOVES them. They are the perfect size for her to grip and munch on, but not small enough for her to choke on or swallow. They are the best!
– A favorite toy theses days is the Leap Frog play table. She loves the sounds and music. Her favorite is this little button she found – we got it second hand, so there used to be door that opened and closed and activated this button. The door is gone but she somehow found the button (I hadn’t even noticed it at all) and loves pushing it with her pointer finger. She also loves her sit and stand play thingy.
– Her eczema continued… after about a month we took her to the doctor and got a prescription. The doctor also suggested hydrocortisone (non-prescription) which we tried first and worked like a charm! We used as sparingly as possibly and it helped clear things up tremendously (luckily we didn’t have to use the prescription). We also paired that with Aveeno Baby Eczema Lotion and her eczema cleared up so well. We’ve been using the same routine for a while now and it’s stayed clear too! Thank goodness.
– Em’s eating lots of pureed foods! Peas, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes (she likes them now), squash (still a fave), bananas, applesauce, peaches, blueberries (although we stopped with the peaches and blueberries to see if it affected the eczema). She loves it all! She also loves cheerios and sweet potato puffs. She’s getting better at using her sippy cup and likes to drink her water. Although, most times she ends up trying to drink from the bottom of the cup. 🙂
– She loves daycare and is making friends! So cute. Her teachers love her too, and say she is always smiley and trying to get a rise out of everyone and make them laugh. Such a little ham.
– She started moving towards a two nap a day schedule. It was a little painful at times – we’d make it to 4:30-5:00 with only two naps and then she’d start to get fussy. We had a couple rough nights with little cat naps (sometimes more than little) that started at 5 and then bedtime at 7… but for the most part, two longer naps is now the norm.
– There’s a little hair growing on top of that beautiful round head! She’s got some light brown and very straight hair sprouting!
– I love her eyes. She’s got the most beautiful eyes and the longest lashes. Her eyes are hazel now (like Mama) and she definitely still “smiles with her eyes.”
– She’s in 9-12 month clothes (mostly 12 month) mostly because of how tall she is!
– We are working on our clapping and waving! She’s a pretty quick study and loves to clap and is kind of getting the hang of waving bye bye. It’s pretty much adorable.
– Like most babies, Peekaboo is her new favorite game. Her giggle is contagious and my favorite sound in the whole wide world.
– She took her first grocery store outing riding in the cart like a big girl and loved it. So much to look and we made it through the whole store with minor twisting and turning at the end. We also went to Happy Hour with some of Mama’s friends, which was fun, but exhausting for Mama! So much movement!
– We made it through busy season (barely). I still can’t believe I did it. Of course, with the help of my awesome husband and my Mom watching Em a couple days a week (and cleaning my house at times too – thanks Mom!). It was NOT fun though… Luckily, it was the same as usual for Emerson except for Saturdays since I had to go into the office. But during the week I still made it priority to hang out with her at our regularly scheduled time after work. I needed that time to survive! Then after she went down for the night at 7-7:30, I would eat a quick dinner and back to work… like I said, NOT fun. 🙁
– We celebrated Easter by having both our families over to our house for brunch. Emerson got to meet her Great Grandma Mary for the first time and they both had a lot of fun getting to know each other. She especially loved doing “baby workouts” on Great Grandmas walker! She played with bubbles and got loved on by the whole family. Spoiled little girl, but so loved. She is very very lucky to have such an awesome family!
– Her favorite book is Good Morning Good Night and it’s a touch and feel book. She loves feeling the animal fur and even pretends to “read” but using her pointer finger to point at the pages. She even knows what “dog” and cat” mean now too!
– Auntie Jenn and Brian babysat for the first time so we could go to Zach’s end of the year bowling night with his classmates. It was a nice break to get out just the two of us! Unfortunately, not so nice for Jenn and Brian since Em cried most of the time we were gone!
– She started standing up in her crib! Another fun adventure – luckily we had already lowered the crib and added the mesh crib liner.
– I think I forgot to mention this in her 7 Month post, but we got her first official “school” pictures back from daycare! They were taken when she was around 6 Months old. She’s so stinkin adorable! She’s not exactly smiling in any, but it’s still pretty cute. 🙂
And now, time for some pictures! 🙂